Ghost Towns, Courtland, Arizona
Courtland Ghost Town
Back in 1909, Courtland was among the more sophisticated boom towns just east of Tombstone. The boom commenced when four companies; Calumet & Arizona, Great Western, Leadville, and Copper Queen began copper mining operations. The booming town was large enough to support two newspapers, one called the Courtland Arizonan. Courtland had over 2000 inhabitants at one time. The town even boasted over 5 miles of water mains and a movie theater. There were baseball games, horse races, weddings and all types of events one would expect of a modern town. But, the mines played out and the town slowly died, closing its post office in 1942.
Today only three structures remain located just off Ghost Town Trail. The city jail has the most complete structure with two large rooms; each approximately 12 x 16 feet with a small bathroom in each room.