Ghost Towns, Harrisburg, Utah
Harrisburg Ghost Town
Harrisburg was founded by Moses Harris in 1859. Enitially the town was known as Cottonwood for the creek which flows into nearby Quail Creek Reservoir. As the community grew, it eventually became Harrisburg. Flooding, grasshopper infestations and indian raids drove the residents away and by 1895 Harrisburg had become a ghost town.
Harrisburg is currently the site of a real estate project called "Harrisburg Estates". Numerous stone houses and foundations remain of historic Harrisburg. Among the remaining buildings is the Orson Adams House. Constructed in 1864, the two-room stone building was occupied by Orson B. Adams, his wife, two sons, and two granddaughters. John Kemple stayed in the Orson Adams House on his way to Nevada to mine silver. In 2001, the Bureau of Land Management acquired the Orson Adams House property and restored it.