Abandoned Places, Scorpion Gulch, Arizona
We stopped by an abandoned structure called "Scorpion Gulch" over the weekend. This was once a Trading Post in South Mountain, selling jewelry, leather goods, curios, Indian-made items, sodas, and candy.
In 1936, Lunsford purchased the 100 feet of frontage. He personally hauled the rock and built the store with living quarters attached where he and his wife lived and operated the business through 1966. In the 1970s, it became a bar. According to the Phoenix Historic Property Register Scorpion Gulch was listed on the historic preservation register in October of 1990.